Monday, October 31, 2005

Someone Buy this Kid a Dictionary

I was doing my homework in school today when I suddenly hear a kid start on a rant about the "right" to universal healthcare, the "right" to social welfare, and the "right" to social security. Clearly this kid did not know the meaning of the word "right" and couldn't differentiate it from the terms "title" and "privilege." If my assumptions are correct, this kid probably also knew jack about government. Curious, I investigated into what he was doing that triggered this sudden rant.

The kid went on that tangent while he was working on a Constitutional case studies paper. He was to pick from a list of questions about the Constitution and write a paper answering the question. I worked on this paper last year, and some of the questions genuinely got people thinking while others were just plain absurd. My guess is that this kid's question pertained to the "right" to universal healthcare and social security. I remember a question like that, and the kid who contested that question was in for a rather rude awakening.

My school US History curriculum uses the Constitutional case studies paper to segue into a unit on the Constitution. Basically, the kid didn't know anything about the Constitution or the government. Yet here he is ranting away about how the government is failing in its "responsibility" to protect everyone's "right" to healthcare, welfare, and social security. Our school has very high standards for US History too. I guess it's yet another failure of the public indoctrination system.

3 Comments:

At 2:49 AM, Blogger The Judge said...

Mike,

If I were going to call a posting "Someone Buy this Kid a Dictionary," I would make sure that I didn't misspell the word "privilege" in the first paragraph--unless the kid in question is you.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Mike DuBois said...

One typo and apparently I lose all my credibility. Next time you want to "judge" my post, actually do that instead of making personal attacks.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger The Judge said...

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, and you haven't completely lost all of your credibility. But,the point of my comment is that if you are going to publicly accuse your classmates of ignorance of rights, privileges, government, whatever, based on your "assumptions, your "guesses," and last year's homework, then you better make sure that your accusal is above reproach. But since you misspelled one of the very things that you claimed your opponent was ignorant of, how can we take your claim seriously? Maybe my comment was too snarky, but I found the irony of the situation too much to resist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home