Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Smiley, Alito, and the News

There's too much to fit in this post. Here goes...

"Someone Buy This Kid a Dictionary Part II"

It's old news now that Thomas "Smiley" Delay has been indicted. Apparently it's something new to one of the kids in my school. Upon reading the headline of last week's Globe, he started high-fiving his friends. When he noticed me, he regained his composure and I asked him why he was so happy. He knew I was conservative, so the first thing that comes out of his mouth is "I'm not a liberal, but I'm definitely not a fascist." Clearly he didn't look up the term "Fascist" in the political dictionary, nor did he look it up in the Standard English dictionary. The next half an hour resulted in a pretty heated political debate, but he knew he had no chance after I defined the term "fascist" and listed the actual beliefs associated with it. Being his proud self, he kept going, but he showed some pretty obvious signs of waning confidence and desperation. The bell rang after that, so the debate couldn't close, but I think what he heard from me might make him go home and re-examine some of his misconceived terms.

Racism and Alito

It became immediately obvious to me how much Miers sucked as a candidate for the SCOTUS. Well, Bush is on a rebound, at least within the conservative community. With that said, thank God for Alito. Naturally the liberals feel the need to bring up the subject of his race. Can't have another "fascist white man" on the court right? Any levelheaded person would notice the racism of certain attacks against Alito. Some of it is subtle, like the supposed Democrats' document circulating that claims Alito failed to prosecute Mafia members because he was Italian-American. While the Democrats might have intended this to be a nepotism attack, it's pretty obvious that this attack is ethnically charged. Democrats in all their integrity and "tolerance" shouldn't even think of this strategy. Oh well. I guess one part of them hasn't changed since the 1960's: their underlying racism. According to MSNBC's Chris Matthews, "This is either a very bad coincidence or very bad politics. Either way it's going to hurt them. … Not abortion rights, not civil rights but that he failed to nail some mobsters in 1988 – this is the top of their list of what they've got against this guy. Amazingly bad politics."

School Newspaper

Coverage of the school newspaper continues, but before that, I'd like to refer you to a CNN "article" on what Bush keeps in his pockets. This wasn't filed under Opinion, and CNN presented this attack as... NEWS. Bias? I think so. http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/02/bush.pockets.ap/index.html

As for the newspaper, I spoke with the freshman writing an opinion about America's bungled disaster relief system. He's ambivalent on which liberal approach he wants to take to present the issue. As far as I see, if he wants to make disaster response about race, he can either pull a Kanye West (GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE) or an Anti-American (ALL AMERICANS HATE ARABS). I think the Kanye West argument would be easier for him to make, especially since he can mention that we responded extremely fast to Wilma (which struck where all the rich old white people live). I would also expect him to tie in Iraq. He's not politics-savvy, so he'lll probably use "how is it that we were so fast to get to Iraq, but so slow to get to New Orleans?" Whatever argument he uses, I will nail him in a counterpoint. Point-counterpoint is the only section of the newspaper with a lenient word limit, so I really look forward to his writing his piece and my fisking of it.

In addition to that, I will no doubt try to defend -- to the best of my ability -- all these indictments and charges against the Bush Administration and the Republican Party. While I object to certain actions done by certain members, I believe the media *coughcoughNewYorkTimescoughcough* is making much bigger an issue of this than it's supposed to be. My hypothesis is that they want to shift the public's attention from their own guilt, because even if info was leaked by the administration, the media is equally as guilty for making it available to the public (and then refusing to reveal the source from which it got the info).

More on this later. Coverage will be ongoing.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous kilgore said...

I just read the CNN article, there was nothing about that attacked the president. All it did was point out reasons the president didn't keep things in his pockets. It was pretty funny he kept a white hankerchief, hopefully it's a sign for things to come for his administration and republicans in general, and hopefully we'll get a president who actually cares about the American people in 2008.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home